Wrongful Removal Paternity Issue

by | Nov 4, 2020 | Firm News, Florida Family Law

Can my ex leave the country with my daughter if he has my passports and wallet? We have a two-year-old daughter together but no custody or child support arrangements. He took the diaper bag with our passports and wallet in it and is now threatening to leave the U.S. with our child. What can I do?

Sounds like a paternity issue under Florida Statute §742. Until legal paternity is established, only the minor child’s mother has legal timesharing rights. You should talk to your trusted Florida family law attorney to discuss what could be a potential kidnapping or wrongful removal if your minor child is taken out of the country. You may be entitled to a remedy under the International Child Abduction Remedies Act (ICARA). You should contact Mark E. Sawicki, P.A. for a free consultation to protect your legal rights with your child.