Visitation Problems Cross County; Where do I file?

by | Jul 30, 2020 | Firm News, Florida Family Law

My daughter lives with her mother in a different county than I do in Florida. Until now we have always worked out visitation and child support. During the last few months the mother has refused to let me see my daughter. I want her to comply with our visitation schedule and parenting plan. My question is what county should I file in? the county I live in, or the county my daughter and her mother live in? 

Good question! The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act determines jurisdiction in paternity and child custody cases. Under these facts, it sounds like you may already have a parenting plan established. If the parenting plan is already established via a court order, you may file in that same court. If not, the county that the child lives in may be a proper venue. You should contact an experienced family law attorney like Mark E. Sawicki, P.A. who specializes in these kinds of cases. Call us today for a free consultation.