Overdue Alimony

by | Jul 30, 2020 | Firm News, Florida Family Law

Can I put a hold on my ex-husband’s passport for nonpayment of alimony? He is leaving the country to go to Costa Rica. We have been divorced since January of 2017. I live in Florida. He is self-employed, lives in Colorado, and owes me over $50,000.00 in back alimony and arrearages. He told me he is leaving the U.S. soon and his sister lives in Costa Rica. I want my money! 

I recommend filing a motion for contempt and enforcement of the final dissolution of marriage order. Of course, it is entirely the judge’s discretion to levy different punishments, and it is up to you to ask the court for relief. You should contact the law offices of Mark E. Sawicki, P.A. today for a free consultation to make sure your court order is enforced.