by | Jul 7, 2020 | Firm News, Florida Family Law

What is the amount of time that can pass without contact or child support from the father such that it would be considered abandonment? I have sole custody and haven’t seen the father in almost a year and I haven’t received a dime of child support. My new boyfriend wants to adopt the child. What should I do? 

Abandonment of the child for such a long time would likely be taken into consideration by a court in a failure to pay child support proceeding, or a subsequent adoption proceeding. If you want to pursue a claim for your child support or follow up with an adoption proceeding, you should contact an experienced family law attorney like Mark E. Sawicki, P.A. today.