Non-Resident Divorce

by | Feb 24, 2020 | Firm News, Florida Family Law

Can I get a divorce if both of us are non-residents and we got married in Florida? Both of us are from different countries. We been working on cruise ships but have been separated for 2 years and now want a divorce.

To get a Dissolution of Marriage in Florida, the state law requires that one of you have been a residence of the State for 6 months prior to filing of the Petition for Dissolution. Even though you are from different countries, if you have a mailing address in Florida for 6 months prior to filing, you would be able to proceed. Contact a qualified, experienced family law attorney like Mark E. Sawicki, P.A. for more information on a Dissolution of Marriage petition.