Back Child Support to a Nonbiological Parent

by | Jan 6, 2020 | Firm News, Florida Family Law

I went to prison and my daughter’s mother signed her custody rights over to the godmother. Can I owe back child support if my daughter’s mother signed over her parental rights to someone else?

Although the mother signed over her parental rights to the godmother, you still have parental rights and an obligation to your daughter. It is public policy for a parent to supply support for their children. Due to this, you may still be on the hook for child support to help provide for your daughter. Once out of prison you can try to obtain time sharing or parental responsibility of your daughter if that is something you are interested in.