Relocation during a Parenting Plan

by | Dec 10, 2019 | Firm News, Florida Family Law

I currently get the kids every other weekend and every Wednesday evening. I’ve been out of work and was unable to pay child support for the last month. I have a job opportunity out of state and need to relocate ASAP. Can I move out of state due to work even though I have a parenting plan set in stone?

The Florida statute 61.13001 on relocation applies to any parent that has time sharing with the child regardless of the amount of time. Relocation means a change in the location of the residence of a guardian from his or her principal place of residence at the time of the last order establishing or modifying time-sharing, or at the time of filing the pending action to establish or modify time-sharing. The change must be at least 50 miles from that principal residence, and for at least 60 consecutive days. You would need to comply with the statute by either having the other parent agree or filing a petition for relocation. Contact a qualified, experienced family law attorney like Mark E. Sawicki, P.A. for more information.