Can you “Freeze” Child Support?

by | Dec 10, 2019 | Firm News, Florida Family Law

My ex-husband just told me that he will undergo back surgery & he won’t be able to work for a year. He will put our kids’ child support on “Freeze.” Can he really do that? Would the court allow him to do that? Can you put child support on freeze if you are temporarily not working?

Your ex-husband may be able to file a petition for modification of child support due to the unanticipated and major circumstances that have come his way. If he is unable to work due to the surgery, then a modification to decrease child support is very much in play. It is under the discretion of the Court.