Unmarried Mother Moving Out of State

by | Oct 16, 2019 | Firm News, Florida Family Law

Q: Mother and daughter live with her parents. The parents are moving out of state of Florida. The parents want both daughter and granddaughter to come with them. The father of the child lives in his car, does not have a job. Does he have any rights to keep them in Florida? If they are not married, can the mother of the child move out of state?

A: In Florida the unmarried mother of a child has all the rights until a court order Petition of Paternity is entered establishing rights for the father. If no such order has been entered, the mother is free to leave and relocate. The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship.