Petition for Paternity

by | Oct 16, 2019 | Firm News, Florida Family Law

Q: My girlfriend and I broke up in October of last year. I have been watching my kids all because I got mad that her new boyfriend was on probation for selling drugs. Now she won’t let me see my children. So, I need to know what paper I need to file first to start my case.

A: You would need to file a Petition for Paternity. In Florida if a child is born out of wedlock, the father has no parental rights even if he has signed the birth certificate until he goes to court and has his parental rights established. You would need to serve her with the petition. Contact a qualified, experienced family law attorney like Mark E. Sawicki, P.A. for more information.