Deceased Father Name Change

by | Oct 16, 2019 | Firm News, Florida Family Law

Q: Father is deceased and I’m the only child he has. The judge told my mother to change my name or add my last name. He can use both due to the paternity test that was filed. I have been using hyphenated last name of both parents on birth certificate and paternity test.

A: If you are under 18, you will need the judge’s court order to change your name and birth certificate. Once you are over the age of 18, you will have to give notice to your mother to change your name, but she can’t prohibit you from changing it. Call Mark E. Sawicki, P.A. regarding your name change.