Same Sex Name Changes

by | May 28, 2016 | Firm News, Florida Family Law

Now that Same Sex marriage is legal nationwide(a couple states will do what they do), Same Sex couples are realizing that they can legally change their names. This has created a new dilemma for same sex couples because they have never had to deal with the repercussions of changing their identity, their brand. At the Law Offices of Mark E. Sawicki, P.A., we deal with name changes on a daily basis. We understand the pro’s and con’s of changing your name, hyphenating your name, or retaining your birth name. Understand that there are different reasons for different people to change their name.

Do same sex couples change their last names like traditional marriages?

  • Yes. Now that the law’s are recognizing same sex couples equally, same sex couples are more eager to change their last names like traditional marriages. A popular trend is to hyphenate last names together, for instance Bob Smith marries Jon Joseph and they combine their last names into Bob Smith-Joseph and Jon Smith-Joseph.

What happens to the last name of an adopted child in a same sex relationship/marriage?

  • Name changes for same sex couples effect adopted children within the relationship/marriage. If Bob Smith and Jon Joseph, who have 3 adopted children with three different last names, want to legally change their last name to Smith, their children’s(under the age of 18) last names will change as well. If the children are above the age of 18, then they have the choice to change their last name.

Are there alternatives to changing a last name in a same sex marriage?

  • Yes, there are alternatives to changing a last name in a same sex marriage. An emerging trend these days it so hyphenate the last names together, ie. Bob Smith-Joseph. These types of name changes are difficult to file by regular citizens, but for trained family law attorneys these types of name changes are not difficult. If you are concerned about changing your last name after a same sex marriage, contact Mark E. Sawicki, P.A. for legal guidance.

Contact Our Name Change Attorney in Ft. Lauderdale Today!

Take the time to research and understand the pro’s and con’s of getting a name change after marriage. This goes equally for traditional marriages and same sex marriages. Changing names will change identities and brands. Children, whether adopted or biological, will also have their names changed when the name change takes place.(Unless the child is 18 years or older) If you are considering a name change when you get married, contact the Law Offices of Mark E. Sawicki, P.A. Mark will be able to handle every aspect of your same sex name change.