Which Divorced Parent Pays for Children’s College in Florida

by | Jan 21, 2016 | Firm News, Florida Family Law

This is an interesting question that has become asked around the United States. Is one parent obligated to pay for a child’s college education and expenses? Certain States have strict rules regarding child support and college education support for children of Divorced parents. It is of utmost importance that one is familiar with their local States laws regarding child support after Divorce. There are certain circumstances that allow for support of children at the age of 18, but the courts of Florida have made it clear on where they stand regarding supporting a child’s college education.

Who has to pay for the child, children,’s college after Divorce in Florida?

  • In the state of Florida, the courts have no power to dictate who pays for a child’s college. This means that if a parent attempts to endorse the courts to force the other parent to pay for a child’s college costs, they will not be heard. The only aspect of support a court does have ruling on is child support. If you are in need of legal help with child support for children under the age of 18, contact the Law Offices of Mark E. Sawicki, P.A.

What choices do children have when it comes to paying for college in Florida?

  • Scholarships, grants, loans, and a job are all methods to pay for college in Florida. Parents are often supportive of their children and will help foot some of the bill. Supportive parents will help their children and often invest in college savings accounts when their children are born. Here is a link to information regarding opening a college savings account – Opening a College Savings Account. If parents will not help foot the bill for college expenses, children are held to their own devices to come up with the money in Florida. College is a privilege that is not available for everyone.

Can the court help in any way to force a Parent to pay for college support in Florida?

  • No. The courts of Florida will not force a parent to pay for a children’s college education. If you are recently divorced and wish to discuss child support, contact Mark E. Sawicki, P.A. The law offices of Mark E. Sawicki, P.A. will aid in any family law case in the Broward, Miami-Dade, or Palm Beach areas of Florida. The first step to understanding what is legally obligated of a parent is talking with professionals who deal with the subject on a day to day basis.

Contact Our Divorce Attorney in Ft. Lauderdale Today!

In summation, the courts of Florida will not force either parent to pay for college education, nor will the courts get involved in college educational support. The courts will, however, get involved with child support for children under the age of 18. If you believe your case is special and requires review, please contact the Law Offices of Mark E. Sawicki, P.A. for a consultation. Mark and his team of professional associates will help you with your Divorce and Child Support concerns.