Divorce With An International Party

by | Nov 4, 2020 | Firm News

Can certified mail sent by a spouse, not the court, be used to get a divorce in Florida? The papers were sent by her lawyer. She wants me to sign and give up my right to a hearing before a judge. The papers are blank, and she didn’t include the debts. Then she told me she could get a divorce without signing the papers! I want a divorce but I’m not willing to sign the blank papers, waive my hearing, and assume debts that she also contracted for. I live outside of the US.

Florida does allow divorce by publication when one spouse is seeking a divorce, but the other spouse is not available. Multiple requirements must be met before a spouse is able to obtain a divorce this way. Family law cases generally must be served via a court-ordered summons. Contact a qualified, experienced family law attorney like Mark E. Sawicki, P.A. to discuss your rights regarding a divorce action.