Transferring Custody Orders to New States

by | Sep 23, 2020 | Firm News, Florida Family Law

I have a custody order in Florida and the father moved to Arizona. My kids and I live in California with permission form the Florida court. Can I move the order to California? The father has been absent for a year but threatened to go after me for not allowing him to see the kids due to COVID-19. Can he request to transfer the case to Arizona because he lives there, even though the kids do not? Should I request a transfer to California? If so, which Florida forms are required for such a transfer? 

If Florida had jurisdiction to issue the initial order, Florida will retain jurisdiction unless agreed upon or amended, or if both parties abandon the jurisdiction. The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act describes which court has jurisdiction and the proper forum. You should contact an experienced family law attorney specializing in multistate issues. Call the law offices of Mark E. Sawicki, P.A. for a free consultation and case analysis regarding this unique multistate jurisdiction issue.